Monday, June 18, 2007

9th week update

Bryan managed to squeeze in half a day (more like an evening, actually) and we got quiet a bit of molding and embelishments installed.

A miniature crown molding was installed above the cabinets. Originally we wanted a fancy crown molding, but since we are keeping the soffit, we would've been able to use the molding for 2 walls only. Most importantly, we wanted the cabinets to go all the way up to the ceiling and since Decora does not make 39" tall wall cabinets, we either had a choice of 36" + 6" of molding (too much!) or a 42" with not too much space for the molding. We decided to utilize the space and to make things more even with the soffit walls, and went for 42" plus the scribe molding. Scribe molding is really more of a strip of wood to go between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling, but that's what traditionally is used in cases like this.

When Bryan was going through all the molding pieces that had arrived with the cabinets, he noticed this molding called "inside corner" molding. It actually looked like a miniature version of a crown molding. He held it up against the cabinet and it looked great. Best of all, we ended up getting the new batch of molding on the house due to a number of screw-ups by Decora (see a post of about 3-4 weeks ago).

In addition to the molding, he installed the replacement corner cabinet (original came with a small crack) and the grape embelishmnets. One of them went on the filler above the fridge and the other one went on the sink cabinet. Original intent for the 2nd onlay was to go on the filler above the hood, but it turned out that there wasn't enough space for it (it was ordered kind of on the fly - both of us were at work when we found out that we would need a filler above the vent and had to place an order ASAP; i was concerned that 48" of plain filler would be too much and felt that the onlay was needed - now that everything is installed, I think the onlay would've overwhelmed the range and the hood). An onlay on the sink cabinet was something I thought of during the design stages, but the embelishment was too expensive, we left it off. BTW, the 2nd embelishment did not cost us anything (same story as the molding).

Next time we will see Bryan is when the doors and the replacement molding arrive. The window frame also still needs to be stained.

photos to follow....

PS - i went strawberry picking on Sunday to a local farm, and cooked the most fantastic strawberry/rhubarb reduction with a bit of cinnamon. Yummy. I love that range!!!!

No comments: